Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Jim Beam Single Barrel Review


One of my Christmas gifts was a bottle of the newer single-barrel Jim Beam that was released just last year. Basically, this bourbon is different from regular Jim Beam (white and black label) in that Jim Beam's distillers only use the absolute best barrels for aging this particular bourbon. The result is a bourbon that is probably the smoothest Jim Beam I've ever had.

There is mild bit of warmth that you expect from a bourbon, but it's not a lot of heat, and it's certainly not a "burn". If you like your bourbon comparatively mild, you'll like this. I'm not a master taster, so I can't tell you about hints of vanilla or hints of whatever.

I can tell you that it's a good-workmanlike bourbon. If you're looking for a good go-to bourbon that's a step above what Jim Beam has regularly offered, this is a good buy. Its retail price of $34.99 is certainly higher the usual price point of the basic Jim Beam (about $15) so it's clear this is a step up in what you spend. All in all, I'd say it's worth the money, but this isn't a bourbon you're going to save for years.

If you're a bourbon fan that has shied away from Jim Beam as a "mass bourbon", I would suggest trying this single barrel offering. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment